It’s been at least 5 days since I ate the dreaded mango that gave me a rash all over my neck and face and ears. Pooooor meeee!!
I just wanted to give you a preview of what I’ve been dealing with – it’s exactly like a bad case of poison ivy. This photo that I took just an hour ago even shows that it got under my wedding ring when I went to wash my hands that fateful day. It made this really uncomfortable ring around my finger. So just 2 days after our 4-year wedding anniversary, I had to remove it for the first time in 4 years because it’s driving me CRAZY. I tell ya folks, if you’re allergic to poison ivy, you’re likely allergic to mango sap as well, so be careful! More on this soon with a full Poor Cheri explanation.
Wasn’t this a fun blog post?
Are you allergic to poison ivy or have you ever had any experience with this wretched allergy?
Me too…all over my face and hands this time (I had just made some Mango Jam). It’s hard to resist picking up “free” Mangoes on the ground but next year I will be more careful!
Oh my gosh Patti, I know what you mean! I’ll be posting a video soon of the crap I just went through with it. And I know – it’s so hard when they’re so yummy and all over the place!! Best of luck gettin’ over yours…lemme know if you’ve got any good tips for dealing with it!
I watched your video and it was like watching myself! I have the exact reaction that you do to mango! I’m on day 5 and it totally sucks. Had to take off my rings as well. So what is giving me some relief is a lidocaine oral solution that I had used in the past for strep. I was told to gargle with it and spit it out for the strep relief. Today I remembered that it was numbing so I rubbed it with a qtip on the unbearable parts of my face that were burning. I am getting the relief. I realized that the rash on my check was the perfect imprint of how I hold my iphone to my face. The rash extends even to that ear! WIPE down your touch screen devices (ipads laptops cell phones!) Dear Lord I will never come in contact with the sweet tasting fruit again! So sad because it tastes so yummy but this rash is dreadful!
Oh Danene, that is such good advice! I hadn’t even thought about the phone part! If I get it again I will surely try the lidocaine! I have a rule now that I don’t bring them home ever, and if I eat something mango flavored, I make sure to wash my hands and lips with soap and water immediately without touching anything else. I still get a rash on my lips from chewing but it’s better than all over my body…and I can still enjoy mango flavored things sometimes that way!