I got the idea for this recipe for the current #SundaySupper event from my most recent restaurant review at Don Pablo’s restaurant here in Sarasota. I’m making Fried Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas! Those Sopapillas inspired me! This Sunday Supper is themed for Mexican Independence Day and while I love Mexican/Tex-Mex/SW, etc food, I rarely make it at home. So this was an easy, new thing for me to try, and I hope you like them! I gave a plateful to husband and he ate them in like half a minute. Also, make sure to check out the video showing you exactly how to make them! You can’t go wrong!
[youtube id=”fhXMt1RBLbk” width=”620″ height=”360″]
Fried Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas
1/2 cup sugar
4 tsp cinnamon
3 cups vegetable oil
6 tortillas, white flour or whole wheat, sliced into strips or triangles
- Mix the cinnamon and sugar together and set aside.
- Pre-heat the oil in a wok or deep skillet over medium to medium-high heat (approximately 350-375 degrees). Use a candy thermometer if possible and maintain this temperature throughout the cooking process, otherwise they will cook unevenly.
- Slice the tortillas into desired shapes, strips or triangles. (Or be creative – use cookie cutters!)
- When the oil is heated to the correct temperature, gently immerse 1/4 of the tortilla strips into the oil and let them float.
- Flip the strips over when the bottom side has begun to brown. Continue flipping until the strips are completely golden brown on both sides.
- Remove the strips using tongs by letting them drain slightly and then place them on paper towel-covered baking sheets.
- Immediately sprinkle desired amount of cinnamon sugar mixture on each side so that the remaining oil will soak it up.
IDEA: Add these strips to a bowl of vanilla ice cream for a sweet treat or just eat them whenever you need a sweet, crunchy snack!
And when you’re done with my stuff, please take some time to check out all the other amazing Sunday Supper recipes listed below. You won’t be disappointed! And you can even join in with us live on Twitter chat from 7-8 pm on Sunday, September 16th! Yay! It’s another Sunday Supper extravaganza!
Sopas (Soups), Ensaladas (Salads), and Entremeses (Starters)
- Chicken Tortilla Soup – The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Mexican Paint Soup – Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Jalapeño Popper Dip – Chocolate Moosey
- Vegan Tortilla Soup – Galactosemia in PDX
- Texas Caviar – Ruffles and Truffles
- Cheese-Stuffed Jalapeños w/ a Tequila Sunrise – Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Mexican 7 Layer Dip & Chips – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Stoplight Salsa Reisipe – Family Foodie
- Tortilla Soup with Roasted Vegetables – Diabetic Foodie
La Comida (the food)
- Fiesta en tu Boca Enchiladas (Chicken & White Bean Enchiladas w/ Salsa Verde) – The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Gluten-Free Chicken Spinach Artichoke Enchiladas for #SundaySupper – Cooking Underwriter
- Mexican Fiesta for #SundaySupper: Chipotle Chicken & 3 Bean Quesadillas w/ Wasabi Guacamole and Mango Salsa – Chattering Kitchen
- Carnitas – My Catholic Kitchen
- Tamale Pie – Noshing with the Nolands
- Eggs Motuleños – The Meltaways
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Black Bean and Corn Salsa – Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Carne Asada – Magnolia Days
- Carnitas Avocado Pizza with Chipotle Avocado Mayonnaise Drizzle – Damn Delicious
- Frijoles Charros (Cowboy Beans) – La Cocina de Leslie
- Puerco Pibil – girlichef
- BLT Quesadillas with Avocado Mayo – Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chile Rellenos with Roasted Tomato Sauce – Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Tamales with Green Chili Sauce – Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Beef and Vegetable Enchiladas – Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Con Queso – Momma’s Meals
- Baked Flautas – Home Cooking Memories
- Chunky Aztec Chocolate Granola – What Smells So Good?
- Street Tacos Al Pastor – Sustainable Dad
- Shrimp Tacos – Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Chile Relleno with Ranchero Sauce – The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Zippy Chipotle Shrimp & Mango Tostadas – Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Pork Tacos – Tora’s Real Food
- Stuffed Sopapillas – Juanita’s Cocina
- Chicken Fajitas – Cravings of a Lunatic
- Blue Crab Tacos – Pescetarian Journal
- Huevos Rancheros – Comfy Cuisine
- Chocolate Cinnamon Flan – Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Caramel Apple Enchiladas for a Mexican Fiesta #SundaySupper – In the Kitchen with KP
- Chilli Chocolate Truffles – Happy Baking Days
- Horchata Ice Cream & Churro Brownies – Kwistin’s Favorites
- Strawberry Empanadas – In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maureen
- Plantain Fritters – From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Fried Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas – The Watering Mouth
- Beer Margaritas – That Skinny Chick can bake
- Hatch Chile Margarita – Shockingly Delicious
- Skinny & Spicy Watermelon Margaritas – I Run for Wine
- Refreshing Kiwi Lime Margarita – Mama Mommy Mom
- Wine Pairings for a Mexican Fiesta #SundaySupper – ENOFYLZ
We’d also love to feature your Mexican Fiesta recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!
You’re going to want to head on over to Heather’s awesome blog, too, for her awesome recipes on Girlichef. I promise you will be glad you did!