These Raw Chocolate Brownie Bites will knock your socks off!
…I’m serious. If you’re wearing socks, they will be ON. THE. FLOOR. :P
I First Found These…
I first learned of this type of recipe when I started to dig deep into my friend Laura-Jane’s website TheRawtarian.com. It’s really an amazing site, btw, and has SO many amazing, healthy recipes, that you can’t go wrong. Not to mention she’s just a super awesome person…AND she has a talent for making raw cooking really easy and affordable.
You can find her original recipe here.
I modified this by using a mix of nuts, using less sweetener and no salt, and turning them into bites instead of brownies. I find that type of quantity to be a bit easier for me to deal with, rather than having a whole pan of brownies, that I’m more likely to eat entirely. Not that I know from experience or anything…
With the brownie bites, I end up putting them in the freezer, and with any luck, I forget about them for a while, until I finally remember and then eat them all.
Frankly, I try not to make these too much because they’re just THAT good. Man, what a saleswoman I am.
Oh, jeez, just make ’em. You will love them, I promise. :)
The great thing about this recipe is that it proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that healthy, all-natural ingredients can taste AMAZING and can satisfy any sweet tooth.
Carob Powder Substitution
I have been eating toasted carob powder in place of cocoa powder lately, just because of the caffeine content in the raw cacao powder I get. If I have it too late at night, I end up like a hoot-owl for 3 hours past my bedtime, and that’s not a good look. Trust me.
And did I mention that I absolutely LOVE the flavor of carob powder since switching? I really thought I’d be sad about not having cocoa anymore, or at lost less at least…but I gotta say now I find myself super looking forward to it every time now. It’s such a rich, deep flavor. It’s different…but it’s also just as amazing. And this is coming from a DIEHARD CHOCOLATE FAN, so this is definitely saying something. :)
If you want to try use carob, just add about 20-30% more carob powder to any recipe you’d usually make with cocoa or cacao powder. And die of happiness.
Eat In Moderation / Keep In The Freezer
There are a lot of nuts in this recipe, so proceed with caution!
The only words of wisdom that I can give about this recipe are to keep them in the freezer once you’ve made them. That’s the only way I’ve been successful at avoiding eating all them at once, but it’s not easy. :)
Or else make them for a friend and gift wrap them immediately. I don’t know. If I’ve taught you anything, it’s that I am clearly not in the Moderation Police Squad.
Raw Chocolate Brownie Bites Recipe Video
- ½ cup raw, unsalted walnuts
- ½ cup raw, unsalted pecans
- 1 cup pitted dates (any variety)
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 5 tablespoons raw, unsweetened cacao powder (or any unsweetened cocoa or carob powder)
- To a food processor, add the nuts and blend until coarse ground. Add the dates and blend again until those are coarsely chopped. Add the coconut and cacao powder and finish processing until all ingredients are well-combined and start to stick together.
- Take tablespoon or larger sized amounts of the mixture and roll into a ball in the palm of your hand. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for a week, or in the freezer, in a freezer-safe container for 4-6 months.