This is easily one of my favorite soups to make, because it tastes so good and is so easy to throw together. All you need is a soup pot and a blender or an immersion blender (even easier!). I originally saw a vegan cream of mushroom soup recipe by Kimberly Snyder and I loved it…and I wanted to tweak it to be as easy as possible to make, and also Nutritarian. Et voila! Here you have it.
This Easy Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe is so comforting and lovely, it’s got such a great creamy mouthfeel. When I first had it, when I was just becoming a Nutritarian, I thought it was quite bland. I’ve since added a bit of my favorite seasoning to it, and also adjusted my own tastebuds, and now it gets a thumbs up from me.
What If I Still Think It’s Bland?
If you are missing the salt, might I suggest trying to eat it alongside other foods so that you can switch up the flavors every few bites. This trick will go a long way towards helping you adjust to lower salt levels…and you will begin to really appreciate the flavors of the mushrooms themselves. Give it a go!
Try serving this soup alongside a super flavorful salad, like my Weight-Loss Salad. A few bites of that, then a few bites of the mushroom soup, and you’ll be in healthy Nutritarian flavor heaven!
But if you are just bent on adding some salt, make sure to add it to each portion before you serve it, instead of salting the whole dish. If you season a soup while you’re cooking it, you’ll end up using way more salt then if you just salted your portion before you eat it.
Convenient As Leftovers
I am totally obsessed with soup because of how convenient it is to make. You can double or triple this soup recipe and package it in the freezer in individual portions so you can have lots leftover for a rainy day.
A great way to store soup in the freezer is to use gallon freezer bags, put the cooled off soup in there, seal it and place it flat on a cookie sheet in the freezer. That way, once it’s frozen, it’s in a convenient flat arrangement. You can store lots of different things this way and take up just a little bit of space in the freezer.
Easy Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe VIDEO
- 2 medium white onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds mushrooms, any kind, chopped
- 4 cups no salt added vegetable stock or water
- 3 tablespoons low sodium vegetable soup base (I like Vogue brand)
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- In a large soup pot over medium high heat, add the onions and dry saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and stir to saute until the mushrooms begin to let off water, about 5 minutes. If necessary during cooking, add 1-2 tablespoons at a time of the vegetable broth to keep from sticking, but normally the mushrooms give off enough water to prevent the onions from sticking.
- Push aside the mushrooms to create a well at the bottom where the liquid from cooking the mushrooms can collect. Sometimes, it’s easy to do this by tipping the pan to let the water drain to the side of the pan. Add the minced garlic to this spot and cook, stirring for 1 minute or until the garlic is fragrant. Stir all ingredients together and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth to the pot, bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to simmer for 15 minutes. Add the coconut milk and pepper to the pot and stir to combine.
- In a blender, add the soup and blend until desire consistency, or use an immersion blender. I like to leave it slightly chunky, for some great texture.