4th of July Red, White and Blue Jello Shots
adapted from Fearless Homemaker
INGREDIENTS for red and blue jello
2 cups Water
2 envelopes Knox Gelatin
2 3 oz. boxes Jell-o in red and blue colors
2 cups ice cold Vodka, separated into 1 cup measurements (I used Absolut)
- Pour 2 cups water into a sauce pan and sprinkle the gelatin over top. Allow this to soak for a minute or two. Heat over low to medium heat, stirring constantly, until the gelatin is dissolved (about 5 minutes). I ended up using medium heat to dissolve the jello quicker in the next step.
- Pour the red and blue Jell-o powders into two separate bowls. Divide the hot gelatin mixture in half and add one part to each bowl. Stir them until the Jell-o is dissolved. Let cool to room temperature then stir in the vodka. Pour into straight-sided containers in the refrigerator to chill for 2-4 hours until fully set.
INGREDIENTS for the condensed milk gelatin
2 cups water
2 1/2 envelopes Knox Gelatin
1/2 of a 14 oz. can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Repeat step 1 above.
- Stir in the condensed milk. Take mixture off burner and allow to cool to room temperature (important, or your blue and red Jell-o will mix colors in the end).
- Remove the colored gelatin from the refrigerator and cut into small cube or rectangular blocks. Place the blocks in a 9 x 13 glass or non-reactive metal pan.
- Once the milk mixture has cooled, pour it over the gelatin blocks. Skim off any small bubbles that form. Chill until fully set, cut into squares or other desired shape and plate.
NOTE: The vodka will taste extremely strong the first day that these are made. If you make them a day ahead and let them sit overnight, the taste will smooth out. But then be careful, because you won’t know how much you’re “drinking”!!